Friday, November 14, 2008

In Memory of my best friend, fellow evangelist, Jim Jones.


I wanted to write up something, but Tony Miano did such a wonderful job I am pasting his blog here.
Jim was truly a best friend and I will miss him greatly. While I am rejoicing that he is home with his Savior, the One he boldly proclaimed, my heart grieves as I think of his precious wife and daughters. I know that God is taking care of them and yet, I still am so sad to have such a loss. I love you Jim and I miss you already tremendously. What a legacy you have left behind. See you in Heaven my brother.



The Lawman Chronicles-Tony Miano

The biblical street evangelism family has lost a faithful brother in the Lord. Jim Jones (Grant Pass, OR) was killed yesterday in a bicycle accident. Jim was 40. He leaves behind (but in the faithful hands of the Savior) his wife, Kelly; and his two daughters, Willow and Holly. Please keep the Jones Family in your thoughts and prayers.

Jim was an Internet service provider, by trade; but his passion was proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jim's close friends often joked with him about his name, since he shared the same name with the infamous cult leader. But everyone who knew Jim knew that this Jim Jones sought to glorify God with his life and to love people with the Gospel.

As Jim would say, he "reclaimed the name." Yes, Jim, you did--all for the glory of Jesus Christ. You did.

Jim led an evangelism team in his area. In his most recent newsletter, Jim wrote:

"It's still amazing to see how people will just stop here in downtown Grant Pass and let us talked to them about the things of God. "

Jim was already well-known in biblical street evangelism circles when I was new to open-air preaching. Jim was a front line warrior for the cause of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His passion and leadership inspired other Christians to deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow Jesus Christ.

While Jim will be sorely missed by those who knew him and served the Lord with him, those same people also know that God is good and sovereign. God does cause all things to work together for good (Romans 8:28).

May the good that comes from such great loss be that many with whom Jim has shared the gospel over the years (particularly those in the young, Gothic subculture for whom Jim had great compassion), upon hearing about his death, will remember the gospel he proclaimed to them and then repent and believe that same Gospel. May the good that comes from such great loss be that Jim's brothers and sisters in Christ will, in his memory but for the glory of Christ, preach the Law and the Gospel all the more.

We'll miss you, Jim. But we will see you again, one glad morning; as we worship the Lord Jesus Christ in His glorious presence.

I will close by sharing a video of Jim doing what he loved most--proclaiming the Law and the Gospel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I know Jim from the message boards only. How wonderful that he ran the race well! I will definitely keep his wife and children in prayer.

in Christ and for His glory,

Mark

Sola Scriptura: The Scripture Alone is the Standard
Soli Deo Gloria: For the Glory of God Alone
Solo Christo: By Christ's Work Alone are We Saved
Sola Gratia: Salvation by Grace Alone
Sola Fide: Justification by Faith Alone

"There are many who preach Christ, but not so many who live Christ. My great aim will be to live Christ" -Robert Chapman