Monday, February 18, 2008

Kayla's Febrile Seizure episode. Be Aware of this!

Yesterday, Feb 17, Kayla had been sick a couple of days with flu like symptoms. She woke up that morning sounding a little croupy so I had her lie down and I took her temp. It was 102.3. I gave her some juice to drink and she said she wanted dry cereal in a bowl so I brought it to her and she ate it and laid down. I checked her temp again and it was 102.5. I was sitting next to her and all of a sudden she was kicking me like crazy. It took me a moment to realize she was in a full blown seizure. I had never seen one before and I will tell you now, it's the most terrifying thing a parent will see.

Her body was convulsing so out of control, then she started choking. I quickly grabbed her, turned her on her side so that she would stop choking. I noticed her tongue was in the way of her breathing and she was biting it so I try prying her mouth open with my finger. Number one rule when someone is having a seizure, Never put anything in their mouth! By this time Kayla's face was blue and her lips were purple. I was screaming for help as Jeff was upstairs, Joshua couldn't find the phone as I was yelling for someone to call 911.

Jeff came down and he got my finger out of her mouth and he was trying to keep her mouth open so his finger was also punctured. Our neighbors came running over to see how they could help and I got the ambulance call in. During this time Jeff was still holding Kayla but she looked completely dead. Her eyes were rolled back in her head, she was unconscience and not breathing. I could hear Jeff screaming, "No, Kayla! Kayla!" Again, this is something that is so frightening for a parent who has no idea what is happening. Finally she started breathing very slowly and Jeff kept blowing in her face to keep her conscience before the EMT's arrived. By the time they arrived she was not convulsing, but she was very unresponsive and just laying on the couch face down, not moving at all.

We got her to the ER and they did a CT scan, chest x-rays and many needles and an IV. This poor girly had such a traumatic experience, but so also did the rest of us. The boys were very much freaked out, Kiara couldn't understand what was happening to her twin.

I wish I had been educated about these types of seizures known as Febrile Seizures. One out of 25 children will have a febrile seizure before they are 5. Kayla being 6, this gave some concern as she's a little older than they would expect to see this happen too.

Here are some links for anybody to educate themselves about it. It's not dangerous, it's more frightening than anything, but rarely will it ever cause damage to the brain or death. But being aware and ready is a must. I see that now. I only wish I had been prepared.

So if you have little ones, grandchildren or friends with small children, please pass this along, make people aware, learn what to do to avoid a febrile seizure and how to deal with one if it happens to someone you love.

Our Kayla is now acting normal and happy. She still is sick but her fever is down, and I am pumping the Tylenol and Motrin. Mom had to get a tetanus shot as she punctured my finger pretty badly and it can be dangerous to have human saliva wounds.

Links:

Febrile Seizures Fact Sheet


Febrile Seizure-Mayo Clinic

Here's our sweet girl that we are so thankful is here with us. We praise You Father for Your protection on Kayla!

5 comments:

Patte said...

Oh my goodness! I have heard of febrile seizures & always watched my boys for them when they had high temps ... but that sounds SO frightening. I am so glad that your dear Kayla is fine now.

Thanks for passing along this information.

Susan said...

I am sorry you guys had to go through this and really thnkful that Kayla is okay. Praise the Lord! Love you, sister.

Anonymous said...

How horrific!

Thanks for the links.

I will definitely keep your precious daughter in my prayers!!!

with love in Christ,

Mark (and Shelby, Vivienne, Juliana, Caleb, and Gabriella)

andraswhimsies said...

We were praying hard for you guyes on Sunday!!! I'm so glad to hear that kayla is ok! Give her big hugs and kisses for me! I had a feeling that's what happened, but you just never know.
Love you!!!!!
~Andra

andraswhimsies said...

Oh and guess what??
You'v been Blog Tagged!

These are the RULES: Link to the person that tagged you. Which I did. Post the rules on your blog. Share 5 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog. Tag 5 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Love you!!!
~Andra

Sola Scriptura: The Scripture Alone is the Standard
Soli Deo Gloria: For the Glory of God Alone
Solo Christo: By Christ's Work Alone are We Saved
Sola Gratia: Salvation by Grace Alone
Sola Fide: Justification by Faith Alone

"There are many who preach Christ, but not so many who live Christ. My great aim will be to live Christ" -Robert Chapman